Ah, a cosplayer’s favorite topic. Actually, many cosplayers (myself included) have difficulty picking characters to wear on Halloween. For me, it’s a combination of a few factors: 1) I don’t want something super involved in case of party fouls; 2) I want a costume people will recognize; 3) It’s one of the few times a year my boyfriend will dress up with me, so I want something to match him; 4) I like something Halloween themed when possible!
So keeping all that in mind, here area few characters I’d like to dress up as for Halloween:
1. Blind Mag or Amber Sweet from Repo! The Genetic Opera. I have an absurd love of Repo! I love Blind Mag’s Chromaggia outfit and absolutely everything that Amber Sweet wears. With a little convincing, I could probably prod the beau into being my Repoman. It’s a little complicated for Halloween, but it might happen for a con one of these days!
2. The ballerina from Cabin in the Woods. I ❤ Joss Whedon, guys. Cabin in the Woods is one of my all-time favorite horror films. It’s just got Whedon’s thumbprint all over it, especially in the second half. The first time I saw it, I immediately knew I wanted to make a costume from it, and the nightmare ballerina is the one I liked the most (even if she only shows up for like 15 seconds). A tutu, some pointe shoes, lots of blood, and a crazy mask. Yes, please. And if no one recognizes the specific character, it’s still spooky for Halloween parties.
3. A Disney villainess. Though I have no idea which one. I’d probably lean towards Ursula, since I have a ridiculous love of The Little Mermaid. Seems nice and spooky for Halloween. Plus, lots of Halloween costume stores sell Disney knock-offs, so it wouldn’t be too difficult to put this together.
4. Carrie. Can’t get away from this list without a classic, right? Carrie is one of Stephen King’s books that I really enjoy, and I also enjoy the original and 2013 versions of the film. Plus, it’s super easy with just an old spaghetti strap dress and lots of fake blood.
5. Magenta from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. More love for my inner campy girl. I like to make it out to shadowcast showings of Rocky Horror at least once a year, so I’d love to have a costume to wear to one of the local Halloween showings. Magenta would be pretty simple to put together. Plus, I love that giant hair.
Bonus: Zombie Librarian. I love zombies, and I’m a librarian, so it’s perfect.
And here’s a teaser of what the BF and I will be wearing this year.
Just a little reminder: I’m heading to Dallas Comic Con Fan Days this weekend! You can keep up with my shennanigans on Twitter and Instagram. Hope to see some of you there!
What characters do you want to dress up as for Halloween?
13 thoughts on “Friday Fandom: Characters I’d Love To Dress Up As For Halloween”
I love your list! I hope you put some (or all!) of these together so we can see the process! 😀
Awesome list, they’re all so in the spirit of Halloween and yet so unique!
Thanks, Stephanie! 🙂
Ok, so horror movies–hell, even horror movie previews on TV–scare me to the point where I don’t sleep or look into mirrors. I literally cannot function for weeks after watching them. And then Joss Whedon decided to make one. CURSES! Of course, I HAD to watch it because Joss. Freaking. Whedon.
So I picked a bright, sunny afternoon and watched it with a flood of light around me. And it did scare me. It scared me a lot. All I could think through the whole movie was “WHY WOULD YOU READ THE LATIN OUT LOUD?!?!”
Just add that to the list of things I do in the name of Joss, which includes falling down a staircase and spraining my ankle…for the first time. -Calliopunk
Oh, the things you do for Joss… Haha. I just love the last half of that movie. It’s like Buffy and Angel on steroids.
Oh my word, you get all the points for Zombie Librarian! Love it!
Haha, I actually did a quasi-zombie librarian a few years ago. The campus I worked at had a Humans vs. Zombies game, so I zombie-d out for the event. Lots of fun 🙂
I am SO EXCITED to see your Archer costumes!! So perfect and hilarious. And I LOVE the ballerina from Cabin in the Woods! She is so freaking creepy; I would pee a little if I saw that in real life! 😀
Yes!!!! Love Archer. And same here. I love how absolutely macabre and perfect her tiny bit of screen time is. Absolutely terrifying.
YES! Nightmare Ballerina is awesome!
I’d love to dress up as a Disney villain one day too! Have fun at the con 🙂
Thanks, Jessica! It was a blast. 🙂