Another month from 2015 is officially in the past! I’m both excited and super anxious about that. We’re now about 2 months out from some of the big cons in the Dallas area, but that means I only have 2 months to finish up costumes for myself and others! I’m going to binge watch ALL THE SHOWS and sew like a demon this weekend :P.
1. Texas (my part of it, anyway) got its last winter freak out this year a little late. We got a full 4″ of legit snow in March! Winter for us is normally a few days of ice, so real snow is a special treat. Thor loved it! Once he got used to stepping on it, he started sprinting circles around the yard nonstop.
2. I finished Belle in time for All-Con! It’s definitely not perfect, but I’m very pleased with how it turned out.
3. Speaking of All-Con, I definitely enjoyed it more than last year. Having con friends makes a huge difference, especially at chill cons like this one. Also, Calliopunk and I are now making this a thing for ALL of our costumes (but especially when we get around to doing Rat Queens).
4. I made a couple of improvements to my craft room this month, including installing a curtain rod above my craft table to hold my butcher/tracing paper. It makes drafting and tracing so much more convenient.
5. I finally snagged an embroidery machine! This was definitely a “treat yo-self” indulgence after I got my tax refund 😛 It’s a Brother SE400 combo sewing/embroidery machine. I like the idea of having it available as a backup sewing machine if my Singer Stylist flukes out on me at some point. Hopefully I’ll get time to play with for more than 10 minutes soon!
6. Last week, I travelled to Portland for the Association of College and Research Libraries Conference. The trip was a blast and I learned so much. I don’t talk about it much online, but I struggle with my desire (or lack thereof) to stay in my current profession. I don’t know if it’s burnout or what. I’ve been working in this field for about a decade, and now that I’m approaching 30, I’m wondering what the next step is for me. Work conferences are a good way to get excited about my career again, and ACRL is one of the best conferences I’ve attended in years. Plus, meeting G. Willow Wilson (the writer for Ms. Marvel) is basically the highlight of my nerdy life at the moment. I’m just kicking myself for not getting photos of the cherry blossoms while I was in Portland!
Are you on Instagram? Let’s be friends!
9 thoughts on “Life According to Instagram: March 2015”
I love Instagram! I love it so much I just ordered those “ChatBooks” … My Life on Instagram! Haha… You look like you are having an amazing time!
Haha, I really ❤ Instagram. It's definitely my favorite social media platform. I'll have to look into those ChatBooks!
The pattern paper dispenser is SO smart! I’m moving this year and will definitely put that in my new sewing room.
Glad you like it! It’s been a lifesaver with all the bodysuits I’ve been making.
Your Belle turned out beautifully!
And your sewing room improvements turned out super cool!
Thank you so much! I still have a few things I’d like to tweak on Belle. Hopefully I can get a shoot set up for her soon!
Brother SE400 Fist Bump! I love my SE400, though I am now lusting after the bigger area embroidery machines like Singer’s Futura line. Burley Sew on Youtube has some great SE400 videos and Urbanthreads.com has some seriously sweet embroidery patterns. Sign up for emails to emblibrary.com too. Their best deals are in the emails.
Oh, thanks for the tips! I’ll subscribe ASAP.